Health officials announce 2nd human case of West Nile Virus in Massachusetts this year
West Nile Virus: WISCONSIN — After two animals in Wisconsin examined optimistic for West Nile virus, state health officials are encouraging residents to defend in opposition to mosquitoes.
A fowl in Milwaukee County and a horse in Trempealeau County are the primary Wisconsin animals to check optimistic for West Nile virus this yr, in keeping with a Sept. 2 information launch by the Division of Well being Providers.
No human infections have emerged in 2022 up to now in Wisconsin, however state well being officers have seen a median of 20 instances per yr since 2017, the DHS mentioned. Though the virus doesn’t often sicken folks, it may be critical and even lethal for some. Well being officers inspired Wisconsinites to guard in opposition to mosquitos because the presence of WNV in two animals confirms its presence within the blood-sucking bugs.
The information comes simply days after well being officers in Illinois are additionally warning residents about WNV after a resident of Cook dinner County in his late 70s grew to become sick and died from it.
Although 80 p.c of people that contract the virus don’t grow to be sick, individuals who do grow to be sick can count on to expertise fever, headache, muscle ache, rash and fatigue, the DHS mentioned. Lower than 1 p.c of people that contract the virus confirmed excessive fever, muscle weak point, stiff neck, tremors, confusion, paralysis and even coma, in keeping with the DHS.
Discover out what’s taking place in Milwaukee with free, real-time updates from Patch.
Your electronic mail deal with
Let’s go! West Nile Virus
Individuals most vulnerable to critical signs embrace older adults and other people with compromised immune methods, the DHS mentioned.
“These instances are a reminder of the significance of taking precautions to guard ourselves from mosquitoes and the viruses they carry, which poses a threat to all Wisconsinites, particularly to those that have weakened immune methods,” mentioned State Well being Officer Paula Tran. “By carrying insect repellent and eliminating standing water round our houses the place mosquitos breed, we may help shield ourselves and our neighbors.”
The virus is just not unfold immediately between people or between animals, however as a substitute spreads from mosquitoes that feed on contaminated birds. Infections in people usually are reported between June and October, well being officers mentioned, with most individuals reporting sickness in August and September.
Listed below are the ideas the DHS provided to keep away from mosquito bites:
- “Apply an insect repellent with DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, or IR3535 to uncovered pores and skin and clothes.”
- “Previous to heading open air, deal with clothes with permethrin; don’t apply permethrin on to pores and skin.”
- “Take into account rescheduling out of doors actions that happen throughout night or early morning hours, when mosquitoes that unfold WNV are most lively.”
- “Put on long-sleeves, lengthy pants, and socks when open air to assist preserve mosquitoes away out of your pores and skin.”
Listed below are the ideas the DHS provided to guard your private home from mosquitoes:
- “Be certain that window and door screens are intact and tightly-fitted to stop mosquitoes from moving into your private home.”
- “Stop mosquitoes from breeding round your private home by eradicating stagnant water from objects round your property, resembling tin cans, plastic containers, flower pots, discarded tires, roof gutters, and downspouts.”
- “Flip over wheelbarrows, kiddie swimming pools, buckets, and small boats resembling canoes and kayaks when not in use.”
- “Change the water in fowl baths and pet dishes at the least each three days.”
- “Clear and chlorinate swimming swimming pools, out of doors saunas, and scorching tubs; drain water from pool covers.”
- “Trim or mow tall grass, weeds, and vines since mosquitoes use these areas to relaxation throughout scorching daylight.”
- West Nile virus – Wikipedia